What is a yeast infection?
Yeast infection is medically termed as candidiasis. It can be caused by any type of candida. Candida is a type of yeast or fungus that is normally harmless for the human body and their growth is naturally stopped by the body. In some cases when the human body’s immune system is compromised this fungal infection spreads and grows. The most common areas for its growth are mouth and genitals. In rare cases, this infection can affect other parts of the body such as armpits or certain patches of skin.
What are symptoms of yeast infection?
Symptoms of yeast infection usually depend on the area of the body affected. Listed below are some of the common symptoms.
Symptoms of genital yeast infection
- Itching and irritation in and around the vagina and penis
- Redness or swelling of vulva or penis
- Rashes in and around the vagina or penis
- A burning sensation which gets severe during sex
- Thick, white cottage cheese-like vaginal discharge which is odor-free
- Excessive vaginal wetness or watery discharge
Symptoms of oral yeast infection
- Creamy cottage cheese-like white buildup on tongue, gums, cheeks, tonsils or roof of the mouth
- Redness, soreness, and swelling that causes burning sensation while eating
- Loss of taste and feeling in the mouth
- Bleeding when the buildup is are removed or scrapped
Symptoms of skin yeast infection
- Red and swollen skin patch usually affects skin folds
- Rash that constantly itches
- Cracked and sore skin
- Rarely patients develop blisters
How to treat a yeast infection?
Treatment of yeast infection usually depends on the area of the body that is affected. Usually, there are antifungal creams for oral, genital and skin yeast infections. These fungal creams are easily available as OTC (Over The Counter) treatments at ever pharmacy. In the beginning, when the symptoms aren’t severe patients can use these medications but if they get severe a medical examination is compulsory.
On-time treatment is really necessary as genital and oral yeast infections can put a strain on personal relationships usually when patients are unable to get intimate. In such cases, this simple infection can lead to depression over the passage of time.